Crap Nullpointer Exceptions

This is the blog of John Dulaney, a hacker of Fedora, SCAdian, player of Music, blacksmith, sailor, and consumer of Bacon.

Fedora 15

As usual, the odd number release is what I update to.  I don’t know what it is, it just seems like even when multiple new huge features that the odd releases go smoother.  Prior to my joining the QA team, this was the case, all the way back to FC1 (of course, I did skip FC2 because I didn’t realize it had been released until after FC3).

I’ve been running Fedora 15 for about a month now, and I think it’s great.  I love the new features, even Gnome 3.  The only thing that really doesn’t seem to provide me any real improvement is systemd.  systemd’s parallelization is only a real benefit on multi-core hardware, which does not apply to my graying machine.  That said, I’m not going to knock it like some folks seem to be doing.

Gnome 3 is great for what it is.  I think that this is the way Linux needs to move if it is going to capture any more market share from Windows (advertising would help here, too).  There is plenty of griping about the ‘dumbing down’ of Gnome.  I have two answer for you:  not everyone is interested in command line for everything, or even anything, and there are still plenty of other choices (my favourite being Fluxbox).  I really do believe that the simplification and GUIation of Linux in general and Fedora in particular-as long as other options are left available-is a Good Thing.

So, how does F15 look from my QA perspective?  I haven’t had any major bugs since about a week before release and only one minor one with Empathy.  This is with the testing repository permanently enabled on my box (as I write this, I am downloading more updates to test).  Of course, this newest update set might break something, but that’s what I’m here for, to find this stuff.

How does it compare to Ubuntu 11.04?  Well, besides having newer technology, Fedora lacks the little things in Ubuntu that mommick me for dear life.  There’s all sorts of writing about how Ubuntu doesn’t push upstream, but I’m ignoring that.  There is just a long list of little naggy things in 11.04 that just don’t go away.  For the most part, Fedora lacks these to begin with, and if they are there, they are very easy to kill.

Maybe this all comes out as blithering praise for Fedora, but it really isn’t.  I admit that I’ve not been entirely free of suffering, mostly dealing with the new Network Manager API (if you’re involved with KDE, Sugar, or QA, you know what I’m talking about).  But, that’s the price paid for staying bleeding-edge.

Advertisements

6 responses to “Fedora 15

1. Kevin Kofler May 26, 2011 at 10:22 pm

What’s “dumbed down” about GNOME 3 is not the fact that it’s a GUI, it’s the fact that they’re actively removing options and features (even more than they already removed in GNOME 2). A powerful interface doesn’t have to be a command line, KDE Plasma proves the opposite.

• pankaj May 27, 2011 at 4:39 am

I agree. Just look at the network manager in F15 as an example, its so horrible. Proxy support has been completely removed (well there’s still a text field to enter the proxy, but it actually does not do anything, and then there’s no way to enter user/password authentication for proxy, or create/connect to adhoc networks)
      I’m still using Fedora only because of my affection to the project, which leads the way of innovation in the linux stack (except anything gui related)

2. Adam Williamson May 27, 2011 at 1:42 am

On systemd: parallelization isn’t only useful on multi-core systems, it helps just about everywhere, because most services aren’t using the hard disk and CPU both at 100% throughout their whole run time. In a serial setup, even if the service isn’t doing much with one or the other – or either, because it’s just sitting waiting for something – nothing else gets to use them; only one things gets to use the system resources at a time. With parallelization, some other service can use those resources. So even with one core, startup will be more efficient.

Parallelization isn’t really the main benefit of systemd either – upstart can do parallelization, after all. There’s some more unique and interesting features of systemd than that, like socket / dbus activation.

3. aja May 28, 2011 at 2:24 am

Love FC15 it has no bugs and Gnome3 shell is cool.Fastest bootup and shutdown i have seen.Hope it adds support for nvidia 500 series gpu.

4. Barnabyh May 28, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Couldn’t disagree more with you. In all the criticism of Gnome Shell I have never once read that the problem is the GUI per se, or that people want to use the terminal and somehow they can’t. That has nothing to do with it. Dumbed down refers to the implementation, not having applets etc., basically treating users as idiots. My Openbox desktop can do better. Hell, I thought Gnome 2 was simple almost to the point of qualifying as dumbed down, but 3 is taking the biscuit.
    If the price for attracting “Windows market share” is to become like Windows it is too high. As it stands currently the Windows GUI is now much more functional than and preferable to Gnome. Good job, well done.

5. CMD May 30, 2011 at 3:00 am

F15 is a step backwards gui-wise from F14, particularly as F14 used to work reasonably well on my Dell Latitude D505 (i915 graphics) with compiz effects galore and yet Gnome3 *insists* on going into fallback mode! What the hell does it want, a supercomputer?! I’ve spent far too long trying to reverse some of the dumbing down with Gnome Tweak and gconf-editor. The Fedora 15 base is excellent however, it boots faster than F14 and apps seem to run better, it’s just Gnome3 that’s the problem.